If you would like to submit a gero-focused practice or link to a community resource, please complete the following form to suggest the resource to our team.
This deprescribing protocol is comprised of 5 steps
- Determine all drugs the patient is currently taking and the reason for each one
- Consider overall risk of drug induced harm in individual patients
- Assess each drug in regard to its current or future potential benefit compared with its current or future potential harm
- Prioritize drugs for discontinuation with the lowest benefit/harm ratio and lowest likelihood of adverse withdrawal reactions or disease rebound
- Implement the discontinuation regimen and monitor patients closely
References:Scott, IA, Hilmer SN, Reeve, E, et al. Reducing Inappropriate Polypharmacy: The Process of Deprescribing. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(5):827-834