AHRQ developed toolkit for outpatient care practices designed to enhance patient experience and improve safety for new patients transitioning into a practice. The toolkit is composed of the following components, each of which is extensively referenced.
- Toolkit guide, called Guide for Safe Patient Transitions to New Appointments, with in-depth instructions on how to use the toolkit, which also includes useful resources (PDF, 1.48 MB).
- Narrated PowerPoint slide deck for team training (PPT, 1.07 MB; HTML).
- Pre-Intervention Assessment, a step-by-step exercise in an Excel format for team members to identify safety gaps or areas for improvement (Excel, 211.23 KB).
- Checklist to Prepare Patients for New Appointments, a set of best practices team members should follow with every patient (PDF, 253.24 KB).
- Appointment Aide, a tool for patients to refer to and use at their current appointment, and take with them to their follow-up appointments (PDF, 1.29 MB).